Monastery of Geghard, Armenia
|Monastery of Geghard
|Download (Links to all available data types will be emailed)
|Data Bounds (approx.)
|LiDAR - Terrestrial
|Faro Focus X330
|Phase Based Laser Scanner
|The Geghard Monastery complex was first founded in the 4th Century by Gregory the Illuminator, the religious leader who is credited with converting Armenia from paganism in 301 CE. The remote site rests at the entrance of the Azat Valley in central Armenia. Surrounded by towering cliffs, the complex contains a number of churches and tombs that are partially carved directly into the rock. The principal church was built in 1215 and features numerous khackars or stone crosses. The monastery became famous because of the relics it housed. Its full name, Geghardavank, meaning the Monastery of the Spear, originates from the spear that wounded Jesus during his Crucifixion, allegedly brought to Armenia by Apostle Jude, also known as Thaddeus in Armenian.
|In January 2015, CyArk traveled to Armenia to facilitate a two-week training session in digital preservation for high school students at the TUMO Center for Creative Technologies. This workshop guided students through the process of site documentation at Geghard Monastery through the use of 3D laser scanning and close-range hand scanning with the Artec scanner. The students learned how to develop conservation materials, such as drawings, 3D perspective images, animations, and virtual tours. This project was made possible through donations from the Armenian-American community.
|Google Arts & Culture
|2015-01-09 to 2015-01-11
|CyArk 2018: Monastery of Geghard - LiDAR - Terrestrial . Collected by CyArk , TUMO Center for Creative Technologies . Distributed by Open Heritage 3D. https://doi.org/10.26301/7y70-rh48