"Open Heritage 3D makes primary 3D cultural heritage data open and accessible"
- Provide open access to 3D cultural heritage datasets for education, research and other non-commercial uses.
- Minimize the technical, financial and legal barriers for publishers of 3D heritage data.
- Promote discovery and re-use of datasets through standardized metadata and data formats.
- Foster community collaboration and knowledge sharing in the 3D cultural heritage community.
- Share best practices and methodologies for the capture, processing and storage of 3D cultural heritage data.
Open Heritage 3D Alliance
As 3D and reality capture strategies for heritage documentation become more widespread and available, there has emerged a growing need to assist with guiding and facilitating accessibility to data, while maintaining scientific rigor, cultural and ethical sensitivity, discoverability, and archival standards. In response to these areas of need, The Open Heritage 3D Alliance (OHA) has developed as an advisory group governing the Open Heritage 3D initiative. This collaborative advisory group are among some of the earliest adopters of 3D heritage documentation technologies, and offer first-hand guidance for best practices in data management, sharing, and dissemination approaches for 3D cultural heritage projects.
The founding members of the OHA, consist of experts and organizational leaders from CyArk, Historic Environment Scotland, and the University of South Florida Libraries, who together have significant repositories of legacy and on-going 3D research and documentation projects. These groups offer unique insight into not only the best practices for 3D data capture and sharing, but also have come together around concerns dealing with standards, formats, approach, ethics, and archive commitment. Together, the OHA has begun the journey to provide open access to cultural heritage 3D data, while maintaining integrity, security, and standards relating to discoverable dissemination. Together, the OHA will work to provide democratized access to primary heritage 3D data submitted from donors and organizations, and will help to facilitate an operation platform, archive, and organization of resources into the future.