Deadwood, United States of America
|Country||United States of America|
|Spatial Data||Download (Links to all available data types will be emailed)|
|Data Bounds (approx.)
|LiDAR - Terrestrial||0.122 GB||Cyrax 2500 ||Time of Flight Scanner |
|Site Description||Deadwood is a small town in the Black Hills of Lawrence County, South Dakota which first got its start as a mining camp during the gold rush of 1876. As its population grew the nearby surrounding hills forced the town to develop around a small dense downtown.
Although the first buildings were made primarily of wood and canvas, the present appearance of the downtown is the result of the fire of 1879 which destroyed most of the commercial district. Following the fire, the town was rebuilt using more permanent materials in vogue at the time.
In 1879 Deadwood was a wealthy city and the residents and builders were able to indulge in the latest styles and materials. After the great fire, stone, and brick were the preferred materials and for certain buildings such as banks, hotels and public buildings the grand styles were seen as appropriate. By 1910 the initial wave of building and prosperity had ceased and the subsequent economic decline of the area caused the buildings to remain substantially unchanged.
|Project Description||The historic city of Deadwood is surrounded by thick pine forests and as such is vulnerable to wildfires. Given the risks the Deadwood historic society decided to preserve its historic district through laser scanning documentation. In the spring of 2003 TSP Architects from Rapid City used two Cyrax 2500 3D laser scanners to document 5992 linear feet of building facades along Deadwoods downtown main street. |
|Collection Date||2003-05-07 to 2003-05-28|
|License Type||CC BY-NC-SA|