|The Al Azem Palace construction began in 1749 by the Ottoman governor of Damascus As'ad al-Azem. The palace has two main wings: the haramlik and the salamlik. The family wing, or haramlik, is a private space that is connected to the kitchen and servant quarters. It includes the baths, which are a replica of the public baths in the city but on a smaller scale. The public area reserved for the outside guests, called the salamlik, contains the formal halls, reception areas and exclusive courtyards for entertainment.